Welcome to SteamPhotos.com!
Although steam locomotives all but disappeared from regular service on North American railroads by 1960, there are approximately 300 operational steam engines in the U.S. today. Some operate daily at tourist railroads and theme parks. Others make less frequent appearances for private charters, holiday trains, community festivals, and corporate events.
A lifelong train enthusiast, my interest in railroad photography began in 2005. Today, I photograph unique railroad events and historic sites, documenting my travels here at SteamPhotos.com. Whether you're an historian, photographer, railfan, or travel enthusiast, I hope you enjoy the scenic beauty and historical significance of steam railroading as portrayed in these photos.
I offer a range of prints and calendars for purchase through this site. Profits are donated to organizations committed to historic railroad preservation including those listed below. High-resolution digital photos are also available for license. Please see the Prints & Gifts Page for details. A number of my photos presented here have appeared in books, magazines, newsletters, calendars, maps, timetables, advertising, video games, and murals.
- Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad - Chama, New Mexico
- Nevada Northern Railway Museum - Ely, Nevada
- Friends of the East Broad Top - Orbisonia, Pennsylvania
- Historic Red Clay Valley Inc. (Wilmington & Western Railroad) - Wilmington, Delaware
- Railroading Heritage of Midwest America (Milwaukee Road 261) - Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation (SP Daylight 4449, SP&S 700 & OR&N 197) - Portland, Oregon
- Pacific Railroad Preservation Association (SP&S 700) - Portland, Oregon
- Steam Railroading Institute (Pere Marquette 1225) - Owosso, Michigan
- Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society (Nickel Plate 765) - Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum - Chattanooga, Tennessee
- 611 Society (Virginia Museum of Transportation) - Roanoke, Virginia
- New Mexico Steam Locomotive & Railroad Historical Society (AT&SF 2926) - Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Durango Railroad Historical Society (D&RGW 315) - Durango, Colorado
- Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad - Garibaldi, Oregon
- Mountain State Railroad & Logging Historical Association (Cass Scenic Railroad) - Cass, West Virginia
- Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad - Phillips, Maine
- Wiscasset, Waterville, and Farmington Railway Museum - Alna, Maine
- Sumpter Valley Railroad - Baker City, Oregon
- Colorado Railroad Museum - Golden, Colorado
- NYS&W Technical & Historical Society (Bel-Del Railroad) - Phillipsburg, New Jersey
- Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Foundation - Cumberland, Maryland
- Railtown 1897 State Historic Park - Jamestown, California
- Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania - Strasburg, Pennsylvania
- Steam Into History - New Freedom, Pennsylvania
- Illinois Railway Museum - Union, Illinois
- Branford Electric Railway Association (Shore Line Trolley Museum) - East Haven, Connecticut
- Electric City Trolley Museum - Scranton, Pennsylvania
- Rockhill Trolley Museum - Rockhill Furnace, Pennsylvania